The NW3 Trial Prep class will mentally and physically prepare teams for NACSW™ NW3 trials. Some of the topics covered include covering the search area and reading when your dog has found all of the hides or if there are no hides, building stamina, training for high hides, how not to get lost during the search, dealing with the stress of the unknown, working under pressure as well as tips on how to prepare for the day of the trial will be covered.
Congratulations! You’re moving right along. You’ve passed NW2 and you’re ready to tackle NW3. The biggest change from NW2 to NW3 is an unknown amount of hides. You will also have an additional interior search (3) and you may have additional vehicles in your vehicle search (up to 5). This may sound very difficult, but this class will help you not only train the skills you need to pass this level, but more importantly will help you with your mental game plan. At this level your dog knows what to do – now it’s your turn to add something to the team! This class will give you the skills to do just that. You can’t have FUN with your dog if you’re stressed – let’s work on that!
Team should have passed an NW2 trial and be proficient on Birch, Anise and Clove.
What You Will Need:
- 6-8' leash
- 10'-15' long line
- LOTS of small, non-crumbly treats that YOUR dog finds rewarding
- 20 – 25 containers (cardboard, plastic and/or metal - at least the size of a shoe box)
- Odor kit that includes: Birch, Anise & Clove, several hide vessels (tins, tubes, straws), and a way to secure your hides (Museum Putty, Glue Dots, etc.)
- Preparing for Trial
- Blank Rooms/Knowing When Your Dog Has Found All the Hides
- Pitfalls to Avoid
- Covering Similar Looking Search Areas
- High Hides
- Mental Preparation