In AKC Scent Work, competitors also have the opportunity to enter the handler discrimination class, where the dog will locate an article with their scent in the Novice levels, or a scented q-tip or cotton ball in the upper levels of competition. We will cover how you can introduce this concept to your dog and ensure their success!
With handler discrimination, we are moving away from a novel odor to a familiar one. Dogs must be able to locate their handler's scent as opposed to the scent of another person. In this course, we will go step-by-step how to introduce this concept to your dog and ensure they are correct every time. Fun will be had!
What You Will Need:
- your dog
- flat or martingale collar
- back-clip harness (optional)
- 6'-8' leash
- 10'-15' long line
- LOTS of high-value and smelly treats
- crate or area you can stage your dog in while setting up your searches
- minimum of 10 boxes of various sizes (good excuse to shop at Amazon!)
- earthquake putty or GlueDots
- minimum of 10 cotton gloves
- cotton balls
- minimum of 6 tins with holes
- Introducing Handler Discrimination
- Find My Scent!
- Avoid Distractions and Ensure Success
- Container Searches
- Exterior Searches
- Buried Searches
An intensive learning opportunity, where you will submit homework and videos for the instructor to review, ask questions in the forum and more!
Perfect intermediary option. Have full access to the course materials, ask questions in the forum, but no need to submit videos or homework.