Has your dog graduated from the Introducing Birch course? Are they ready to take their skills to the next level? Wonderful! This 6-week online course will cover how to introduce your dog to the concept of searching for Birch in exterior and vehicle search areas, both of which can be rather challenging. Gain the skills you need to succeed!
This course will concentrate on how to introduce your dog to the concept of searching exterior and vehicle search areas for Birch. We will discuss the various considerations which should go into hide placement to ensure your dog can be successful. These include how the environment and wind will affect the odor as well as safety concerns handlers should always be mindful of. Additionally, we will cover how handlers can both help set their dog up to succeed while still pushing them to further improve and build upon their skills and capabilities. As with the Introducing Birch course, we will be using pairing to allow the dog to self-reward at source, as source needs to be the most rewarding thing! By following the K9 Nose Work® training methodology, not only are we giving your dog a strong foundation so they my be successful at a NACSW™ trial, but they will be successful competing with other Scent Work competition organizations as well!
What You Will Need:
- your dog
- flat or martingale collar
- back-clip harness (optional)
- 6'-8' leash
- 10'-15' long line
- LOTS of high-value and smelly treats
- crate or area you can stage your dog in while setting up your searches
- minimum of 10 boxes of various sizes (good excuse to shop at Amazon!)
- minimum of 5 novel containers (e.g. Tupperware, purse, bag, etc.)
- 1-3 vehicles (e.g. car, SUV, truck, tractor, riding lawnmower, etc)
- earthquake putty or GlueDots
- Birch (“Sweet Birch” aka Betula Lenta)
- minimum of 3 tins with holes
- Introduction to Exterior Searches with Birch
- Using Boxes to Expand Your Search
- Wind, Start Lines and Distractors
- Introduction to Vehicle Searches with Birch
- Multiple Hides on a Vehicle
- Putting it All Together
An intensive learning opportunity, where you will submit homework and videos for the instructor to review, ask questions in the forum and more!
Perfect intermediary option. Have full access to the course materials, ask questions in the forum, but no need to submit videos or homework.